Food for Thought: 10 Foods to Consider Adding to Your Diet
Your daily diet has the ability to supply you with everything from essential nutrients to compounds that can help prevent disease. Below is just a small sampling of foods from all of the different food groups you may want to consider adding to your diet—enjoy!
1. Almonds: A good source of potassium, vitamin E, riboflavin, magnesium and zinc; low in saturated fat and high in unsaturated fat
2. Apricots: A good source of vitamin A and C as well as lycopene
3. Blueberries: A good source of vitamin K as well as serves as an antioxidant
4. Canola Oil: lowest in saturated fat, high in mono and polyunsaturated fats; great for cooking!
5. Kidney Beans: Rich in fiber, iron, protein, potassium, magnesium and folate
6. Quinoa: A great whole grain option full of iron and minerals, especially for those who cannot eat gluten (it’s a corn based grain)
7. Salmon: The classic example of fish with heart healthy omega-3 fatty acids
8. Spinach: The quintessential dark green leafy vegetable full of vitamin A and K as well as folate and lutein
9. Sweet Potatoes: A delicious way to get tons of beta-carotene, vitamin C, folate, calcium and maganese
10. Yogurt: Besides calcium, you will get plenty of protein, magnesium, and vitamin B12