Your daily diet has the ability to supply you with everything from essential nutrients to compounds that can help prevent disease. Below is just a small sampling of foods from all of the different food groups you may want to consider adding to your diet—enjoy!
1. Almonds: A good source of potassium, vitamin E, riboflavin, magnesium and zinc; low in saturated fat and high in unsaturated fat
2. Apricots: A good source of vitamin A and C as well as lycopene
3. Blueberries: A good source of vitamin K as well as serves as an antioxidant
4. Canola Oil: lowest in saturated fat, high in mono and polyunsaturated fats; great for cooking!
5. Kidney Beans: Rich in fiber, iron, protein, potassium, magnesium and folate
6. Quinoa: A great whole grain option full of iron and minerals, especially for those who cannot eat gluten (it’s a corn based grain)
7. Salmon: The classic example of fish with heart healthy omega-3 fatty acids
8. Spinach: The quintessential dark green leafy vegetable full of vitamin A and K as well as folate and lutein
9. Sweet Potatoes: A delicious way to get tons of beta-carotene, vitamin C, folate, calcium and maganese
10. Yogurt: Besides calcium, you will get plenty of protein, magnesium, and vitamin B12