5 Things You Should Know About Fats
1. We need fat in our diet: 30% of our calories should come from fat. A fat free diet is not a healthy one; our body needs essential fatty acids that it cannot synthesize so the only way to get them is from food
2. Fat free or reduced fat foods may not be the best option: Foods that have been altered to change the fat and therefore the calorie content can have an altered taste—it also may take more of it to feel satisfied.
3. Fat promotes satiety: Ever notice how unsatisfying a meal without fat can be? Fat is digested the slowest; since it stays in our system longer it makes us feel full—without it you may just keep eating and eventually overeat!
4. Fat is more nutrient dense: Fat has 9 calories per gram where protein and carbohydrates have 4 calories per gram. That means it will take half the amount of fat to make you full compared to protein and carbohydrates.
5. Fat does not make you fat! Calories are what you need to think about when trying to manage your weight—it does not matter whether they come from protein, carbohydrates, or fats