Eat Dinner With Your Family Week: Sept 28-Oct 2
A nationwide initiative to remind parents that what kids want most at the dinner table is their family.
It doesn’t matter if you cook a gourmet meal, order food from your favorite take-out place or eat out–the important part is that you have time to talk to your kids and to listen to what’s on their mind.
To help facilitate family discussions, click here for a list of questions that you can choose from to help start unique, fun and enlightening conversations with your kids. And for some suggestions about how to enjoy family meals and quick recipe ideas, please visit www.eatright.org.
SEASONAL RECIPE: CURRIED PUMPKIN SOUP
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped (2 cups)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced peeled fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon dried hot red pepper flakes
- 2 (15-oz) cans solid-pack pumpkin (3 1/2 cups; not pie filling)
- 4 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth (12 fl oz)
- 1 (14-oz) can unsweetened coconut milk (not low-fat)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons brown mustard seeds
- 8 fresh curry leaves
Cook onions in butter in a wide 6-quart heavy pot on medium low heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Add garlic and ginger and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add cumin, coriander, and cardamom and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Stir in salt, red pepper flakes, pumpkin, water, broth, and coconut milk and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, 30 minutes. Purée soup in batches in a blender until smooth (use caution when blending hot liquids), transferring to a large bowl, and return soup to pot. Keep soup warm over low heat.
Heat oil in a small heavy skillet over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking, then cook mustard seeds until they begin to pop, about 15 seconds. Add curry leaves and cook 5 seconds, then pour mixture into pumpkin soup. Stir until combined well and season soup with salt. Soup can be thinned with additional water.