I have sampled many homemade Mac and cheese recipes and this is by far my favorite! This comfort food can stand alone or compliment a delicious salad or fish dish.
Total: 50 min
Active: 25 min Yield: 6 to 8 servings
Unsalted butter, for the dish
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 pound elbow macaroni with ridges
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon kosher salt
2 cups milk
2 cups grated sharp Cheddar
1/2 cup breadcrumbs
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- For the macaroni: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter a 2-quart casserole dish.
- Bring 4 quarts of water to a boil in a large saucepan. Add the salt and macaroni. Bring the water back to a boil and cook the macaroni until tender, about 12 minutes. Drain well.
- For the cheese sauce: Meanwhile, melt the butter in a 1-quart saucepan. Using a wire whisk, stir in the flour and salt, stirring and cooking over medium heat until the roux bubbles and the flour turns pale brown, about 3 minutes. Slowly whisk in 1 cup of the milk and then whisk in the remaining 1 cup milk. Continue to cook, stirring constantly, until the sauce thickens. Add the cheese and stir until it melts. Add the drained macaroni to the cheese sauce and mix thoroughly.
- For the topping: In a small bowl, stir the breadcrumbs with the butter until the crumbs are moistened.
- Transfer the macaroni and cheese to the prepared baking dish and top with the buttered breadcrumbs. Bake until the dish bubbles around the edges, about 15 minutes.