all kids tend to go through a phase of picky eating at some point during their childhood. even though there is usually no long term consequence it can be very frustrating for parents and siblings. below are a few helpful hints to manage those eaters who will eat next to nothing…not to mention the same things every day!
- try not to make a big deal about it-part of this may be attention seeking, so try not to “feed” it
- continue to offer a balanced diet to the entire family, including the picky eater
- when possible eat meals together as a family–preferably at a table without television or ipads
- have your child help at the supermarket and meal preparation
- try not to reward food with food (ie you can have dessert if you finish your plate)
- respect your child’s hunger and fullness–try not to encourage needing to finish your plate
remember to always consult your pediatrician if you are concerned about growth and development.